Saturday, June 18, 2011

THINGS THAT GO BUMP


I lay down and slept.  I woke up in safety, for the Lord was watching over me.  Psalm 3:5


The persistent knocking in my dream seemed so real. Because it was. Where's Isaac? (my first thought) I reassured myself that he was back at school in Virginia. Did Aubrey sleepwalk and get locked outside? (my next thought which prompted me to stumble half-awake to her closed door...) Then I heard a motor running.

Looking out Isaac's bedroom window I saw a tow truck. And police cars. And flashlights. "JIM!" As I said these words I had my third thought (someone would have phoned if it were an emergency involving us...) And then the phone rang. So much for sleep.

Apparently at about 2:30 this morning a small car was speeding along on our road (down the wrong side of the street) and hit our parked jeep head-on. The bad news is that the impact was enough to result in the driver's airbag deployment and a 4-5 foot long, deep gouge in the road. The worse news for the driver is that when Jim asked if anyone was injured, the only forthcoming information was that 'the driver was taken into custody...' The good news, if there can be any good news, is that the
jeep was already involved in an accident earlier this summer. It was sitting in front of our house de-tagged, having been totaled by the insurance company. The
paperwork was filed and it was awaiting its extradition to the nearest junk yard. And now it has been towed away and I don't have to look at it. Aubrey (who has a room immediately next to the crash scene) had only one thing to say upon waking from her night of sleep. "WHY were they doing construction on our road in the middle of the night?!"

No comments:

Post a Comment