Saturday, June 18, 2011

DRAWERS OF BLESSINGS


There is an excellent reason our Heavenly Father suggests that we do not attempt to lean on our own understanding. 

At times I think my mind is a sieve.  Other days I blame the recurrent ‘lapses’ on the six hundred things that are flying through my brain at any given moment.  But truth be told, sometimes I’m just not paying attention. 

I was sitting at my desk today doing something I can do in my sleep.  I was printing height and weight graphs for my patients when my printer predictably ran out of paper.  Walking like a zombie to the closet I extracted a stack of new white sheets.  Tapping the stacked edges into submission I carefully opened the drawer and attempted to replenish my printer supply. 

For some reason the paper was not fitting nicely into the drawer.  I set the paper down and rearranged things so that the stack could be more easily put into place.  I


tried again and failed.  Frustration mounting, I backed up from the drawer and wondered aloud what the problem could possibly be.  

It was then that I realized I had opened my top desk drawer instead of the printer drawer just above.  One would think I would have noticed immediately that I was in completely the wrong place, but no.  In my robotic routine I had effectively dismissed my brain as I attempted the allegedly mindless task.  All manner of desk drawer paraphernalia had been moved aside in my attempt to stuff the unsuspecting drawer with a wad of paper.

I wonder how many wonderful things I miss every day because I am operating on autopilot instead of stopping to notice the nuances of my surroundings.  I should really slow down and pay attention.  There are drawers of blessings waiting to be opened. 



No comments:

Post a Comment