Monday, June 15, 2020

SUNSET AT BREAKNECK SPEED



I love a good sunrise but nightfall is my favorite time to snap photos.  I am by no means a professional (at least not in the field of photography). But I know what I like and the light on the earth as the sun starts slipping in the direction of the horizon is something worth capturing.  I was already a little melancholy when I spied the ice crystals shimmering in the roadside weeds.  The light was perfect.  My husband was oblivious to the changing hues as he was busy testing the speed limit on the highway. Now you’ve learnedthree things about me.  I love dusk, I’m a novice photographer, and I’m more than a tad risk averse…. We were traveling east after a long weekend with my best friend who had the audacity to move 650 miles away from me some years earlierWe’d been driving for a ridiculously long time and we were both a little cranky. Salt and other chemicals with lengthy names (and effects detrimental to the environment) had long cleared the highway for traffic, so logically I had little reason to be concerned.  But neurotic, I nonetheless remainedFretful and hungry. To distract myself from worry and the tapping Morse code of my stomach, I punched the automatic window release, poked my cell phone out of the window of our speeding car, and pointed it in the general direction of the orange sky.  Jim’s response was predictable in a comforting way. “Hey! Don’t drop your phone!”  I admit to donning an unbecoming grin.  Now who’s being overly anxious?  

No comments:

Post a Comment