Monday, July 4, 2011

WAITING FOR RETIREMENT

This was the first item that was published in my column Musings of the Amused for Purpose Magazine.  The theme of that particular issue was RETIREMENT. I'm pretty sure my parents have forgiven me for making them my very first published guinea pigs. 


I had serious concerns about the ability of my parents to cohabitate peacefully in a state of retired bliss.  Both spent years in management.  There were schedules and regimens.  How these two worlds would mesh, I had no idea.  I held my breath.

Years later, I am pleased to say that not only are they managing a serene coexistence, they are enjoying their shared freedom.  And they are laughing.  Sometimes with each other, more often at each other.  It is a scientific reality that laughter relieves stress and boosts the immune system.  Calculating the rate at which they make fun of each other, they could live to be 150. 

That is not to say that there aren’t occasional blowups about which route is most direct from the flea market.  (I believe they even argue with their GPS….)  Maps are pulled out, geographic lessons are offered, and somehow after a good deal of spar and rebuttal, they are still both “right.”

I have great plans for my own retirement.  I wish to see the world.  I’ve got enormous aspirations to make the 7, 463 recipes which I have meticulously clipped and stuffed into my straining recipe box.  I shall read that wall of books I own, and perhaps take up watercolors.  I imagine myself an efficient cashier at the local MCC thrift shop.  While I volunteer, I will peruse the racks and purchase large bags of ridiculous attire for my family members.  I’ll buy wonderful things that they would never consider wearing.  I long to dote on my currently nonexistent grandchildren, baking them cookies peppered with chocolate candy bits to make them smile and make their parents (my own dear children) groan.  Doesn’t it sound heavenly?  I suspect by the time I achieve retirement age, a well-intentioned bureaucrat will pass new legislation requiring me to work until I can no longer see my travel brochures, read the fine print on my aged recipe clippings, or choose wildly colored neckties with which to annoy my husband. 

And so I will enjoy employment.  And maybe get started on those watercolors. 










1 comment:

  1. Tonite on tv, I saw reports of people who left NC at seven in the morning to see U2 play in Philadelphia. I heard of people who sat in line for two days waiting for this concert to take place.
    When I compare myself to them, I better get cracking on some crazy "fan" antics to get your attention. I'm all out of stories to read. I've been saving them and enjoying them very slowly.....but.....I'm done. So now what do I do? Do you want me to sit in your driveway? I just ordered a new beach chair with a sun canopy. If you don't post new stuff by the time it arrives on my doorstep.....You just might find me!
    - Just a faithful fan :D

    ReplyDelete