Monday, July 4, 2011

DISOBEDIENT WISE GUYS

Dumb as a box of hair.  A surprisingly accurate descriptor for my miserable cat Harley…

Not unlike a human, disobedience comes quite naturally to him.  For over twelve years we have attempted to correct him with swats and shouts when discovering him on the kitchen counter.  His startled tail expands appropriately each time he is caught trespassing.  Wide-eyed, he skids unceremoniously across the laminate flooring in his remorseful attempt to flee.  I am certain his heart rate doubles as well.  Yet somehow despite repeated attempts, we have been unsuccessful in any long-term persuasion. There is daily proof of his impropriety in the telltale paw prints across our shiny black stove cook top. He is without a shred of wisdom.  His mind is a sieve.    

Though I don’t customarily walk inappropriately across the counters of my home, I would argue that at times I am as dense as Harley. And risking insult, I suspect you are too.  How many of us have had to learn the same lesson repeatedly before something clicks and behavioral change follows?  One needs to accumulate a good collection of ‘clicks’ before wisdom can ever tag along.  Some call this knowledge.

When I think about wisdom, I think about Solomon.  He had the gift of discernment and the wherewithal to do immeasurable good with what he was given.  Most times he used the gift well.  Does the church seek God’s wisdom or is our seeking lopsided because our pews are packed with disobedient wise guys?

I, for one, am thankful that my heavenly father loves me infinitely more than the love I profess for my tiresomely noncompliant cat.  God doesn’t swat me and he doesn’t shout at me.  Instead, he sends gentle and persistent reminders of his love and forgiveness.  And with a thankful heart I store that precious learning in my growing bank of knowledge.  Priceless souvenirs collected over years of trial and error, and most times despite my own foolishness. 

I am told that wisdom makes good use of knowledge.  And I’m hoping someday my collection comes in handy. 

It may be time to forgive the cat.   

No comments:

Post a Comment